Everything you ever needed to know

Friday, February 27, 2009

Gaining perspective

I've learned some new things in the past 12 hours. I got The Courage to Start by John Bingham and have thoroughly enjoyed reading it - in fact I finished about 3/4 of the book in one afternoon/evening. He's enlightened me to some rookie mistakes that I'm making. First and foremost - I'm forgetting about the simple joy of running by focusing solely on distance and speed. I dread my running work outs during the week because I only look at that goal and I don't appreciate just how fun and good it feels to run. Which is what made me get into this sport to begin with.

Two - I need to come to acceptance about my skills as a runner. This doesn't mean I can't set goals but it does make my goals more realistic. Like - I can't run a 10k in under 60 minutes yet. Who am I kidding? I'll be good to finish it in 66-67 minutes. Why was I so determined to blow past those 6 minutes? This is my first 10k for goodness sake. There will be a ton of people that will blow past me but I'm not competing against them. I'm competing against myself.

Three - I've been using my long runs as my tempo runs. And I've been using my tempo runs as my speed runs. You'll see this when you see my weekly results (to be posted every Monday). No wonder I'm exhausted. I must learn to go slower - it really is more enjoyable.

Four (and final) - if I don't meet my weekly training schedule I'll just deal with it and move on. After all I've made it this far without adhering to a strict schedule. I'll use my schedule more as a guide than a must.

So all that being said I decided that I won't run in the rain and I won't run inside for 6 miles this weekend. Instead I got my husband out early this morning and ran an easy 2 miles with him. I enjoyed working out with him and running just for the sake of moving. If I get a chance I'll do another easy inside run either Saturday or Sunday but if this weekend's plan doesn't allow me to do that then I'll just give my body a chance to recover. I'm dealing with pains and aches so I should allow myself to heal rather than have the mindset of no pain no gain. Maybe next week when I do finally get to a long run I won't think "this sucks" the whole way through as I did last week.

1 comment:

  1. Let me know if you do the RC-moon pie run. I'll go cheer you on and get in some moon pies, LOL.

    ReplyDelete