Everything you ever needed to know

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Inaugural Post

If you're a parent do you remember back in the days before kids how you hated when your "parent" friends would go on and on about their kids. Every sniffle, dirty diaper, sleepless night was documented in excuriating detail and you smiled or tried to be sympathetic but all the time said - thank God it's not me and when is he/she going to shut-up already?

Well I've begun to wonder if my friends are thinking that about me talking about running. Not that they aren't supportive - they are and that's HUGE to me. But they're not doing it so they don't quite understand.

So here's my blog - completely separate from my parenting blog (where I now bore people to tears about every sniffle, dirty diaper, & sleepless night of my own two children). I might occasionally mention my children on here since they are, after all, a part of my life - but that's not what this blog is about. This is about me and running - and the only people that have to read it are people who truly want to know. Of course this may mean that only I read this but at least it's a way to document my progress.

Who am I (for those who may not know)?

My name is Judy. In a couple of months I'll be 31. I work full time and have two kids (a three year old and a one year old). I am not an athlete by any means. I've spent most of my life being overweight and underactive. But last summer I started a wellness program to shed the baby pounds and as part of it I was introduced to running. For the first time in my life I ran more than a half mile at a time without stopping to walk. Soon I made it a mile, then two, then three, then more.

I ran my first 5k in January (documented here) and decided that the next step was to run a 1/2 Marathon.

But that isn't until October so what to do in the meantime? I found a few other races to help me prepare and I'm trying to keep the motivation to keep on running.

I once was one that thought "I can't run." But now on days that I don't run I see other runners (as I'm driving to work or to pick the kids up from daycare) and I get runner envy. I live for my long runs on the weekends where it's just me, my accelerated heart rate, and the sound of feet on the pavement. It is a rush.

I might sound crazy but if you run you completely understand.



No comments:

Post a Comment