Everything you ever needed to know

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Speedwork is not delightful

You know why I didn't use to like running (or soccer or basketball)? Because of sprints. They make me feel very inadequate and out of shape. That being said I survived my first speedwork training and even felt good about myself afterwards. Which is not the same thing as enjoying my first speedwork training.

The warm-up mile was easy enough. I did 8 laps around our indoor track (6.5 laps is a mile) then I switched to the treadmill to keep me on pace. I set the first 1/2 mile to a 6.3-6.5 and walked the rests at a 4.0. The last 1/2 mile was the hardest but I just clicked through every .01 of a mile. Then I went back to the track to "cool down". Getting back into a jog was extremely difficult. I thought of myself as being in a race where you just get through mile by mile - or sometimes 1/4 mile by 1/4 mile. I finished strong and felt great.

I think I deserve a special prize since I also did speedwork training despite a cold and headache. But I've learned that exercising through a cold feels pretty good - unless it turns into bronchitis which happened last fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment