Everything you ever needed to know

Friday, April 10, 2009

Friday Pre Race Reflections

Tomorrow is the big day. Though I'm not as excited about it as I was for my 5k back in January. This is probably due to a few things: 1) it's not the first time, 2) I have to get up sooooo early, 3) my shin hurts and it worries me about tomorrow, 4) it's 6 miles at a faster pace than I like to run if I want to achieve my time goal, 5) I'll be by myself since my hubby will stay in the nice warm bed and take care of the kiddos. Since I will be by myself you can expect any pictures from tomorrow to be from me taking them by holding the camera out in front of me - oh those flattering close-up shots. :)

Anyway, I'll get back to my thoughts about the race in a second but I just read this Q&A by John Bingham on Runnersworld.com and really enjoyed this quote:

"The single most important element for a new – or renewed – healthy, active lifestyle is patience. It isn’t talent. It isn’t discipline. It isn’t will power or genetics or diet. Just... patience. So, don’t let yourself get in your own way. Be patient. Be kind. Be gentle. You’ve got the rest of your life to get to where you want to be."

This is something I have to remind myself of all the time. I get caught up in schedules and goals (which are good but not the priority) and forget the real end goal of just to get and stay healthy. Baby steps can be agonizingly slow but in the end they're better than burn-out.

So my goals for tomorrow:
  1. Wake up on time so I can eat and get some coffee into me.
  2. Get to the race early enough to pick up my packet, use the bathroom, and stretch properly.
  3. Find a nice place in the back of the pack so I won't be trampled.
  4. To enjoy the scenery and atmosphere and not just think about my pace.
  5. But because I have to think a little bit about my pace - take the first mile at 11:30 and not at 10:00. Don't burn out on the first mile!
  6. Take the second and remaining miles as close to 11 as I can.
  7. Encourage everyone and thank any volunteers.
  8. Eat my weight in pancakes when it's over.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Thinking about you before the race today. You'll probably be up soon. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete