Everything you ever needed to know

Saturday, April 11, 2009

I Run for the Ice Cream 2009

Actually, I didn't eat any ice cream when it was all over but I did gulp down a nice small carton of Purity Chocolate Milk. Delish! I didn't eat any of their food which was a spaghetti dinner. Who wants a spaghetti dinner at 9:15 in the morning? Bleck!

So here's the results. I'll preface it by saying I met all of my goals but one...

  1. Wake up on time so I can eat and get some coffee into me.I didn't sleep well last night. Even though I set the alarm for 5:30 am I was paranoid that it wouldn't go off. So I woke up the first time thinking, "man it's probably close to 5:30 I wonder if I should just get up?" I looked at the clock and it said 12:29 a.m. Back to sleep for me! But I kept waking up every 2 hours until finally at 5:30 the faithful alarm went off. My husband rolled over and turned it off and I silently got ready. I ate two Eggo waffles with peanut butter and had a cup of instant cappuccino. My stomach felt like crap after eating that early. I got on the road around 6:15. I knew that I probably could have left later than that but I had no idea what the crowd would be like at the race and how long the lines would be for the port-a-potties. It was dark, cloudy, and cold outside.
  2. Get to the race early enough to pick up my packet, use the bathroom, and stretch properly.As mentioned above I left early enough and the coffee kicked in enough that I had to make a pit stop at a Burger King on the way there. I figured it was a nicer place than a port-a-potty. I felt a little bad that I was only there to use their bathroom but didn't let the guilt linger. Once I got to the race I knew I was parked close enough to leave my crap in the car while I went to get my bib number, timing chip, and swag. As soon as I stepped out of the car I thought, "holy crap it's cold." Seeing as there was no line for the port-o-potties or race packets I really could have stayed in my warm house for a bit longer. Oh well, lessons learned. Here's some of the pre-race activity. I took the following pics with my cell phone so they aren't as clear.

  3. Find a nice place in the back of the pack so I won't be trampled.
    I wasn't at the very back of the pack but I definitely was behind a lot of people. This was so much nicer than my Zoo Run Run 5k where I put myself in the middle and was passed by a thousand people in the first two minutes. It makes you feel better about yourself when you pass more people than are passing you.
  4. To enjoy the scenery and atmosphere and not just think about my pace.


    Before the 5k/10k portion of the race started they had a one mile fun run for families and kids. The little kids were so cute. I will take mine to one someday when it's not FREEZING COLD outside. Come on it's April! But I do have to say that by not running with my iPod I was able to take in a lot more sights and sounds and got to laugh at some of the dialog coming from other runners. Even though the rules stated no iPods everyone had them so I could have easily ran with one. But it was nice to run without it on this occasion. Half of the race was on streets and the other half was on a Greenway that went past one of those rivers in Nashville (I think the Tennessee river?) . It was nice but I like our Greenway better. What was fantastic was that it was very VERY flat.
  5. But because I have to think a little bit about my pace - take the first mile at 11:30 and not at 10:00. Don't burn out on the first mile!They only marked the miles so I just ran a comfortable pace for the first mile and found that I went at a 10:30 pace. I thought that was good and just kept on going.
  6. Take the second and remaining miles as close to 11 as I can.After the first mile the crowd thinned out a lot and even more so after we lost the 5k people (they turned off around 2.5 miles). I got to 2 miles and was still running a 10.30 minutes pace. At three, four, five, and six miles I was still running a 10.30 pace. Around mile four was when I realized I just might reach my goal of under 66 minutes after all. I really think the flat course had a lot to do with it.
  7. Encourage everyone and thank any volunteers.I wasn't able to do this much in the beginning but around mile 4 I did try to be a cheerful runner and exchange pleasantries with other runners and volunteers. I found several women wearing the same shirt as me so I made a joke of that.
  8. Eat my weight in pancakes when it's over.The one goal I didn't achieve. I hung out for a long time to see my official results but it was almost an hour later and they still didn't have my name up. They had some other people that finished around the same time as me but no one after that. I seriously hope it's on the website soon. I'm a bit bothered that they didn't put that information up. I mean I know I didn't win any prizes but I still like to see the official results. But I do plan on eating a lot of pancakes next Saturday when I turn the BIG 31. I don't want to go out to dinner. I want brunch at Cracker Barrel. :)

So in the end how did I do? Well if you see the watch above you may be able to tell that I finished the 10k in 4 minutes and 40 seconds. I'm seriously the fastest runner on the face of this earth.
Ha Ha.
That is 64 minutes and 40 seconds folks! Can you believe it!?!? I was so very tired towards the end but I was pumped since I knew I was staying right at those 10.30 minute miles. I was definitely towards the back of the pack but I wasn't the last one and I think that's all that matters. Plus I got another really cool race shirt!
And now that's over. Phew. Time for me to finally shower and get ready to take my kids to an Easter Egg Hunt party. I wonder if my husband will let me sleep in tomorrow?

2 comments:

  1. Congrats!!!

    So, because of you inspiring me, I have in turn inspired another friend of mine (in TX) to start running. Keep going and you'll have the world running! ;o)

    That is a WAY cool shirt!!! You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Judy!! You rock! I'm just bummed I won't be able to go to the moon pie race and cheer you on.

    ReplyDelete