Everything you ever needed to know

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Michael Phelps I am not.

After feeling guilty about the taco "salad" I had for lunch I left my husband alone with one child still awake and went back to the rec center to swim laps last night. I did a swim since it still felt like someone kicked me in the shin. Plus the idea of perhaps trying a mini-triathlon had crossed my mind over the past couple of weeks. I learned some things while swimming. While I'm a good swimmer in the sense that I'm not going to drown and I can do laps - I'm not a good swimmer in form or endurance. One problem is that I need goggles and a nose plug so I can keep my head down. I noticed that the real swimmers kept their heads down and only breathed every few strokes while I kept my head up and gulped for air every 2 seconds. But I did 12 laps back and forth which is 600 yards. I took quite a few breaks in between so if I do want to try a mini-tri I'm going to have to work on swimming a lot more.

I'm going to try an abs and tone class today and see how my right leg feels afterwards. If it does ok then I'll get back out to a run tomorrow. It will be short, probably just 3-4 miles and I'll keep an easy pace.

I'm still thinking about my next training schedule. I think I might focus more on burning at least 300-500 calories a day and try to get back on a weight loss regime. I'll still do some long runs on weekends and fit in one or two shorter runs during the week since that will be my quickest way to burn calories but instead of focusing solely on running I'll also have a chance to get back into some of my favorite aerobic classes. I think it will help to have something that breaks up the routine. I never want my running to get boring. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment