Everything you ever needed to know

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

My Greenway - After the Storm

I haven't mentioned it on this blog yet (except for a small snippet on my weekly results) but last Friday my town was hit by an EF-4 tornado. My family was not affected in any way by this storm besides an hour of fear while the storm went through.



I just read the most incredible account (via email) of a local Pastor (a fellow runner) that was on the Greenway when the storm hit - he was ignorant of any impending storms.



Part of the Greenway has been destroyed by this storm. Probably the most scenic part of the Greenway. It was flanked by huge trees and followed the river, golf course, and larger houses. All of this is now damaged or destroyed completely. When the storm first hit I didn't realize the extent of the damage. We actually drove down to the trailhead on Sunday thinking we could walk through and see some of the "damage" but when we got close enough I could see that all the trees were gone and we wouldn't be able to walk down that portion of the Greenway for quite a while.




These are all pictures that the Rev. David Young took after the storm when he went back to survey the damage and the place where he managed to survive (he was actually in the middle of the tornado and survived by hanging onto a tree). If his story makes it to a website I'll link to it so you all can read. If you would like me to email it to you just let me know.

**His story finally made it on the news. Here's the link: http://www.newschannel5.com/global/story.asp?s=10199271. There's a video too.

It's just really weird because I've run on this Greenway in rainy weather before - no threats of tornadoes but it was enough for me to look around and think, "Gee what would I do or where could I hide in that situation?"



For now I think I'll be sticking with my status as a "fair weather runner."

No comments:

Post a Comment