Everything you ever needed to know

Friday, April 3, 2009

One of the cool kids

I feel so spiffy today. I probably paid way too much but for the price of those marked up items I was able to have a wonderful in-depth conversation with one of the workers at Fleet Feet. And I knew some of the lingo. It always feels a little better to know lingo rather than nod your head dumbly.

Anyway, I bought a 3 bottle fuel belt. As I've increased mileage and the weather has gotten warmer I knew this would eventually be needed. The urgency with getting it today was due to my 8 mile run tomorrow that won't be on the Greenway (where there are water fountains) because of all of our rain. I imagine a lot of the Greenway will be washed out or muddy so I've found another route to take.

This is a good thing. It makes me expand my running horizons and explore new territory. And I've planned a route that still has a bathroom if I really need it.

But the best part of all was that I got to see Tommy (who now works at FF). He was my first trainer whom I just adore. He always was more excited for my progress than I was so I was so excited to tell him that I've gotten up to 8 miles. He was there when I first finished one mile.

In fact I was thinking about our first training session the other day as I finished my speed work. I remember the first time I met with him he had me run/walk a mile. No pressure, just go a mile and see how long it takes you. I can't remember the exact time but it was somewhere between 12 and 13 minutes and I only ran about half of it (which really isn't so bad when you think about it) but it killed me. My face was tingling because of the blood flow and I desperately tried to hide my huffing and puffing and sweating as we then moved on to other exercises to determine my overall level of unfitness. What made me think of it was that even though speed work pushed me to the top of my endurance levels on Wednesday I still came out of it feeling much better than that first mile I ran with him. And that is so much more of an accomplishment than getting under 66 minutes for my 10k. The person I am today versus where I was a year ago is the accomplishment that I need to feel more proud of.

No comments:

Post a Comment