Everything you ever needed to know

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Thinking outloud

A dangerous pastime to be sure. I must look like one of those people that walk around with an ear clip for their cell phone and you swear they're a crazy person talking to themselves.... Or you think they're talking to you and you give that half-smile/wave and start to talk back to them before realizing that they're actually on the phone. Or is this just me who thinks everyone is looking at me and wants to talk to me? I told you I had problems with narcissism. :)

Anyway.

I've been thinking. My 10k, as you well know, is this weekend. I'm excited about it though not so excited about waking up at the butt crack of dawn (no offense Heloise). My ultimate training goal for this year was to get up to a half marathon (13.1 miles) by October. I feel comfortable with doing 8 miles now and building upon that mileage. I know I don't need another 5-6 months to go from 8 miles to 13 miles. I've learned through this training that I hate training for speed and would rather train for mileage. So what if I spent the next 7-8 weeks building up my mileage to 13 miles? That keeps me well within that 10% increase per week so I'm not risking injury. Then over the following 6 months I focus on getting to a marathon?

It means a lot more time spent running. I get that. I don't know how I'll schedule it but I get it.

Is it crazy (like talking to myself crazy)?

No comments:

Post a Comment