Everything you ever needed to know

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I haven't fallen off the face of the earth...

But I literally felt like I was having a heart attack after running a measly 1 mile at 5.0 mph today at lunch. My goal was to run an easy 3 miles but as I went through a 1/4 mile 5 minute warm-up I knew it wasn't going to be easy. I ran inside on the treadmill because it's too darn hot and humid outside to run at noon (or anytime after 5 am and I don't wake up that early) and I didn't have my iPod charged to keep me entertained through the indoor track. I did have working headphones though so I tuned into the wall of T.V.'s at our rec center and watched "Sister, Sister" while breathing heavily and clutching my heart. Good times, good times.

There are several factors that go into this failure but mostly I blame not running for two months and not enough water and nutrition before attempting a run today. I also still blame my meds which are doing the opposite of making me peppy and Energizer Bunny like.

So back to square one. Building up endurance and stamina. Building up speed and distance. The only comfort I take with me is that it shouldn't take as long this time around. But I could be wrong - I often am.

For more inspiring tales read on about my bestestest (yes, that's a real word be quiet spellcheck) friend's first 5k this weekend! I wish I could be there with her - and not just because it's on the Irish coast:
http://iblamebashasmama.blogspot.com/. Good luck Jen! I'll be thinking about you on Saturday.

1 comment:

  1. Aw, I'm sorry the meds aren't giving you the boost you hoped for/were promised.

    Thanks for the encouraging words! Almost made me cry (ah, hormones!!). LOL

    ReplyDelete