Everything you ever needed to know

Monday, July 13, 2009

One way or another

I will run a 5k the weekend of August 14th. It will either be a night run on the 14th or an early morning run on the 15th. I'd rather do the early morning run since it's in my town but my husband will be out of town and I don't know if a babysitter would be willing to come to my house at 6 a.m. :) So it will probably be the night run.

I had to find something to get me back into training. And as my past couple of runs have shown, I need to build my endurance back up. I ran two miles today at a decent pace. It was really hard but I didn't let it get me down. I know I have to start again somewhere. I have five weeks to get back up to my old pace. I really hope to do a sub 30 minute 5k this time around. Two months ago this would have been easily possible but now I have to work harder.

Then in early September there's a local 10k which is a good prep before the 1/2 Marathon at the beginning of October. That's still my goal. I'm not concerned (right now) with how long it takes me to do the half I just want to get back into it.

I have seen that although I wasn't a fan of cold weather running it's a heck of a lot better than hot weather. I have not run outside for a long time and probably won't train much outside either until September. Humidity and heat are not my friends. Give me a 40 degree day to run in anyday!

I've stopped my medication. We'll revisit it at the end of this year. It's just not worth it for the side effects. It makes me really mad that I've lost so much (endurance and strength) over the past couple of months while we mucked around with it.

So hopefully you'll see more updates from me as I prepare for my 5k. Right now here's my training plan - get back up to the mileage and then work on speed. So over the next 2 weeks (perhaps 3):
Monday - easy 2 mile
Tuesday - crosstrain or rest
Wednesday - 2.5-3 miles
Thursday/Friday - crosstrain or rest
Saturday - 3 miles

My hope is that over two weeks I can get back to doing this comfortably rather than struggling through every lap after 1 mile. After that I'll throw in some speedwork and up my long runs to 4 or even 5 miles. But I have to remember to take things a bit slowly to remind my muscles how this whole running thing works. And also to remind my heart and lungs that they CAN do this. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment