Everything you ever needed to know

Monday, September 28, 2009

I think it was 10 miles, it better have been 10 miles

I ran a slightly different route that can't be completely mapped on Gmap so I can't be 100% sure I ran a full 10 miles but I think it was pretty darn close. I am glad that I threw in an extra 1/2 mile in the middle as my poor muddled brain was trying to do math while running - not a good combination for me. In all it took 2 hours and 13 minutes but I'm shaving a couple of minutes off for stretching after the first 1/4 mile and breaking while I trying to figure out the distance by adding numbers in my head. So per mile it broke down to 13:05 which is slower than I hope to go on Saturday but I won't be stopping as much on Saturday. I think right now I'm looking at more of finish time between 2:40 and 2:45 - unless I have an extra energy boost from race day excitement.

I felt good throughout most of it. The last 1.5 mile was hard but it was more mental than anything else - yes my legs were tired but my brain was more tired (darn mental math - that must have really worn me out). I got to the end, happy that it was done. Happier that I had a Chocolate Toffee Power Bar in my car. God it was so good - especially combined with stretching.

The first two miles were in a park that didn't have many people going through it. I was able to see 3 wild turkeys and a deer while I was out which is always pretty cool. I then saw a stray dog which was not so cool. I decided to make my turn around a bit sooner so as to not come in contact with said dog. A little more than half way through was when I had my mental math breakdown and had to call home so my husband could read my notes back to me. This is why I need clearly marked trails or roads that can be mapped easily. Or perhaps it's time to suck it up and pay for a GPS device so I can stop trying to make my brain work so hard when really its only thoughts should be "breathe, left foot, right foot, breathe."

Boy am I sore though. Next week will be very tough. Those last 3 miles are going to be hard for me. I know enough to trust the people that say the race adrenaline will kick in and you'll be fine - but I also know myself and the shadeless portion of that race and know that it will be a tough go.

So my results from last week didn't meet the plan:
Wednesday - 3 miles & Sunday 10(ish) miles
Total: 13 miles

This week will be iffy too. I leave on Wednesday for a conference and won't be back until Friday night. I plan on taking tapering to its full advantage and not doing much this week training wise. I want to get out for a walk today to work out the lactic acid in my sore muscles but beyond walking I might not get much else done this week.

Right now though, those thoughts about someday doing a marathon are feeling quite beyond my reach. I just can't psych myself up to run for 5 hours. How do people get mentally ready for that?

No comments:

Post a Comment