Everything you ever needed to know

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The long, long run

I stuck to the plan and went 6 miles on Sunday. I didn't necessarily run 6 miles but I went 6 miles. At the beginning of the trailhead you have the sign with the rules. The speed limit one always cracks me up since I know I'm running so slow.

So it wasn't the best conditions for a long run. As mentioned earlier we're cutting carbs and even though I did eat a power bar shortly before my run it only lasted about 3 miles. The temps weren't horrendous but it was very warm and humid. My iPod lost its charge and I left my charger in the office so I had no tunes. Plus I'm fighting some kind of illness. But I know I don't have time for excuses - there's only 4 weeks before the 1/2.

I did the same thing I did last week. I'd run a mile and then have a short walking break (about 1-2 minutes). I brought water with me this time so I didn't have to extend my breaks at the water fountain. I did pretty well until 3.5 miles and then I could feel my energy just plummet. I could feel the heat more too. I had drained my two small bottles of water so at 4.25 miles I stopped at the water fountain to refill and felt light headed as I stood still. So I sat in the shade for about 5 minutes (maybe more) to cool down. After that I would walk a 1/4 mile and then run a 1/4 - 1/2 mile.

This is what keeps me going on the greenway - counting 1/4 mile by 1/4 mile

Soreness wise I was fine so I knew it wasn't my muscles as much as just not having enough energy to do it. So now I'll be eating more carbs the night before and day of my long runs. Anyway I'm not sure we're going to make it through this South Beach phase since the hubby is protesting a lot. I just heard of carb cycling which might make more sense for me while I'm running.

3 comments:

  1. You might try eating more beans. We used to get dried pinto and soak them over night, then cook them in the crock pot with water, onion, and garlic. LOADS of energy!! And it helped iwth the headaches I got during phase 1 as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm addicted to mile markers. It's always tough for me on a new route, not knowing how far I have to go...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lord I think all I eat are beans. Beans beans good for your heart, the more you eat the more you....

    ReplyDelete