Everything you ever needed to know

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Last run of the year

And the only exercise I got over Christmas. Oh well.

After two weeks of doing nothing I finally felt guilty enough to do something. I stopped tracking my calories completely during Christmas - there's just no use. By some Christmas miracle I've maintained my weight when really and truly I should have gained. I mean my mom brought me my favorite Red Chili Burro from my hometown Mexican food place plus homemade tamales. Ooooh just thinking about them makes me salivate.

The weather has been cold - now I'm in Tennessee so cold is relative. I realize this but for me 30-40 degrees is too cold to be outside. I'm from the desert - remember. But I sucked it up since it was in the mid 40's today. Yes, there was wind but most of the greenway was sheltered. Yes, it tried to rain and snow on me after 5 miles but by then I was too far in to the run to give up.

My original plan was to run 6 miles but I ended up going 10. Still have pain in my right leg but not enough to stop me this time. I took it slow - 12 minute miles which included walking breaks. I had a nice time and thought about how far I've come in the past year. Last December 30th I had not yet run 4 miles. I never had run any type of race. I still thought it was rather ridiculous to run even 5k and I was wearing very old shoes with no type of running support and cotton shirts. I had not heard about Running Penguins, PR's, or tempo runs. And I still preferred to run on a treadmill (thank goodness I grew past that).

And now, well I still have a lot to learn and I certainly haven't broken any records (except my own PR's). I'll never be the fastest or the best at running but that's not my goal. My goal is to just keep running. To get a little bit faster and better but slowly and over time.

This year my goals are to run a 28 minute 5k and to run another 1/2 with the hopes of getting under 2:30. I also would like to lose this last 20 lbs. I'll participate in boot camp again and continue to watch my diet (after the holiday treats stop tempting me). Earlier this year I talked about eventually doing a full marathon and I still think about it but I'll have to see how this coming year goes. If I were to do one it would probably be the St Jude Marathon in Memphis in December. So it may not be 2010 but I'll keep thinking about it. It's not that I don't think that I can do it - I'm sure I could do it but the time it will take to train is intensive and it's hard to do that right now with my jobs and family.

I've enjoyed writing the blog and thank you all for reading - even the people I don't actually know in real life. Keep reading and encouraging me - I definitely need it.

Happy New Years!

1 comment:

  1. Judy you are doing a great job. Celebrate the huge victories that you have experienced this year!

    ReplyDelete