Everything you ever needed to know

Friday, January 22, 2010

Countdown

Day before the 5k. I'm feeling better stomach wise and my energy is back. I did a teeny-tiny workout today at lunch. Just a one mile run at a normal pace. I really wanted to do more since I haven't exercised since Monday but I was not going to sap up all my energy before tomorrow. I'm still not eating my normal amounts though I imagine that will change very soon.

Race day weather is supposed to be 56 degrees and cloudy with a chance of rain later in the evening. The trails will be muddy since we've had a lot of rain since Wednesday but I don't mind that.

It ends up that we'll take the kids with us to the race and they'll walk with my husband. We hope that they'll cooperate - you can't always trust a four year old and two year old to think the same way you do...

This is the first time I've repeated a race. So in some ways I know what to expect. I know the trail, what the crowds are like, the pre-race toilet choices - you know the really important stuff. I can't decide if this is a good or bad thing as my mind now has vivid and real pictures to think about. Last year I gave myself a broad goal - finishing under 35 (maybe 33) and I blew past that goal with ease. This year the goal will have to be fought for and could be missed. I'm okay with not making my goal - it won't kill me but feels better to achieve those goals. We'll just have to see how it all goes.

Here are my thoughts on splits:
1st Mile - 9:30. This is slower than I'll want to go but there's a lot of crowd to get through at the beginning of this race and it will keep me from being exhausted later.
2nd Mile - 9:15. The crowd is thinned out at this point and the first part of the mile is all downhill. Bad news is the second half is mostly up hill but it's a series of short hills.
3rd Mile - 9:10. It's all you at this point and a lot of down hill except just one little climb towards the end - close to the mere cats and who doesn't like a mere cat?
Last .12 - 1:00. All flat, you can see the finish and people are cheering.
Total: 28:55

Come back tomorrow night for the results!

2 comments:

  1. What a great race plan. It is fantastic that you are feeling better -- this race will go by so quick that you will blink and it will be over! Good luck...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rooting for you from across the pond!!

    ReplyDelete