Everything you ever needed to know

Thursday, April 29, 2010

The hills are alive

Cross training has fallen to record level lows but I am getting my mileage in. It's not all bad.

Tuesday I did a treadmill run while watching Biggest Loser (more on BL later). I threw in a lot of looooonnnnnngggg hills on that run and ended up getting 5 miles in 60 minutes. I had about 10 of walking and more than half the running time I was only at a 12 mm pace but I was usually at a 4-8% incline. On flat portions I sped up to 6.0-7.0. The last hill I did 5% at 6.0 (10 mm).

Today, I'm mapping an outside route on hills. I'll have to loop a couple of times but it's more hilly than my typical Greenway or roads around work/home. I want to get about 4 miles in today and then 9 on Saturday. I've decided to keep my long runs to 9 miles for a couple of weeks and then bump up to 10 for the last 3 weeks before the race. Long runs won't be done for a specific time but I want to average 11 mm or less. And I won't focus on hills for long runs - those are for shorter and faster runs.

I'm trying to plan a 30 day diet (without actually buying any books or online plans). I'll allow myself some cheat days but this is an effort to keep me more on track and less on the frozen burrito diet. More on the diet as I figure it out. Also I'll be signing up for the 1/2 training plan this weekend though the actual training doesn't start until late June (right after the 10 mile race). So things keep plodding along even if the current results aren't in the "spectacular" range.

As for Biggest Loser - I L.O.V.E.D. it!! The 5k, the high school speech, the last chance workout, the elimination - everything. I wanted to hug all the 5k'ers, the girl from that high school, Darius (love him), O'Neal - it was just a love fest from me as I kept going up and down flat my treadmill hills. I remembered the thrill of my first 5k and the bigger thrill of the first time I made it 3 miles just on my own. It's really so exciting in the beginning when you realize that you're capable of so much more than you've given yourself credit for.

No comments:

Post a Comment