Everything you ever needed to know

Sunday, October 17, 2010

The good, the bad, and the Zumba.

Finally, the 1/2 date has come and gone. I no longer have to wallow in the bummed out mood I'd get whenever I got a reminder email, saw a road closure sign, or watched other runners training as I drove around.

The shirt is really cool. I have no shame in wearing it since I did race it last year. *ha* Of course it means I either have to lie about the race when asked, "Oh you ran the half marathon this year?" or come up with one hell of a good story about skipping it; better than "well I have this really weird pain in my abs and spent about 2 months with a recurrent UTI." Awkward conversation starter if I ever heard one.

One thing I realized was that it was probably a good thing that I didn't push myself to run through those times when I was on antibiotics for the UTI(s). A side affect of antibiotics and hard exercise is sometimes tendinitis. I got a touch of it last year after the half marathon because I was just finishing up a antibiotic then too.

But enough about the half - let's move on shall we? I took some time away to exercise today. I really need to get back in the game. I hate the loss of my abs and muscles that were just starting to peek out from among the fluff that surrounded them. I tried running first and had a horrific two mile run/walk. Sheesh am I out of shape! A friend of mine is recently gotten really into Zumba and wants us all to join her. In spite of ALL the numerous workouts I have tried over the past few years I never had tried Zumba. I wasn't against it in principle. It sounded fun - I'm just uncoordinated and feel ridiculous trying to follow dance moves in front of a mirrored wall. But today I thought, what the hell. Let's Zumba!

I think a fair comparison of me doing Zumba is to reflect upon the time when I first got Barry White's Greatest Hits (I think it was around the time Ally McBeal was on tv and they always listened to Barry). I may or may not have had a few drinks that night and spent a good hour dancing around the house to his velvety disco delights. I'm no dancer but I had fun.

This was a lot like that - minus the alcohol. But I still had fun. Heck, I might even do it again.

1 comment:

  1. Good post and you are right, it is time to move on. The time for self-depricating analysis is over and now you should move on to the next challenge. I am excited to see what you tackle next!

    ReplyDelete