Everything you ever needed to know

Saturday, October 2, 2010

My innards are beautiful and tricksy

Update on health and training (or lack thereof).

Since I've last blogged I've gone through several more diagnostic tests (2 ultrasounds, a CT scan, a Hida scan, several blood/urine tests, a colonoscopy, and a partridge in a pear tree) only to reveal that everything within me looks "normal". Which is good news except for the fact that my entire right side is tender and I occasionally still have bad cramps. But I will throw no more money away on expensive diagnostic tests that fill me with radioactive material - seriously I should have Spidey powers by now.

But with these tests, work, family life, etc (ad naseum) I've barely run or worked out at all. I tried a long run last weekend with the plans to go 8 miles - however slow I had to go. I got 3 miles in and had to cut it short because of pain and discomfort from another UTI. I ended up walking half of the distance back to my car. This week my son will be getting his tonsils out so it's hard to plan run times around that.

And now my husband will be out of town on the morning of the half marathon so I have to decide if it's really worth it to find a babysitter that's willing to come to my house at 6 a.m. Or should I just accept the fact that I've paid $125 this summer for two tech shirts (one for the training plan that I only got 5 weeks out of and the 1/2 marathon which will still give me the shirt even if I don't run)?

I hate to sound like I'm making excuses. Goodness knows I could have "fought" my way through the pain and time constraints. People go through far worse pain and illnesses and life stressors to run all kind of events. But in the end the only person who really cares if I run this event or not is me. I'm not giving up on running - I'm just missing out on a couple of events. I'd really rather not walk/run 13.1 miles. It's not about making the distance - I've already proven that. And I'd be horribly bored with the slowness of the race and the lack of challenge. I know that I can do better than a 2:30+ half marathon. I was willing to keep trying if I had a chance of getting below 2:30 (remember my original goal was below 2:10 and last year's half was a 2:40'ish finish). But I'm a better runner than a 12 mm pace (when I'm in good training shape) so I don't want another 12 mm+ finish time.

Really the only thing that aggravates me about bowing out is the waste of money ($50). I really wish I could sell my place to someone else. There are plenty of people that weren't able to get a spot in this race and would love to race it - it sold out a couple of months ago. But those darn race rules get in the way...

Oh well - I suppose we all have to have a DNF (or even DNS) on our race records... I'll let you know if I change my mind. Otherwise the plan is to start cross training again and build back my muscle strength and get back to weight loss - still got 20 lbs for my goal weight. And to also just wait for the pain in my abs to go away or to explode one day into something that's detectable. I'm done with Dr's offices. One can only read so many outdated People magazines.

No comments:

Post a Comment