Everything you ever needed to know

Saturday, May 31, 2014

5k pre-race thoughts

I actually haven't thought much about the race this week besides grumbling about waking up so freakin early to get to it. I'm not a morning person. At all...


We'll need to leave our place around 6 am. I guess it could be worse but that's still far too early for my brain (and digestive system).

I've previewed the course on GoogleMaps and have read through all the instructions. The elevation changes won't be a problem with my recent hill running. There are three distances racing for this race: 5k, 10k, and a half marathon. The 10K goes first and the half leaves at the same time as 5k but they split the road for the two groups. I don't know how many people are expected but I did go through last year's results and only depressed myself to see how well I might do if I had my older speeds (28:40). I could have (theoretically) gotten 2nd place in the Athena division.

Which brings me to a side rant. Why is 150+ lbs considered "Athena"? I would be so skinny if I was 150 lbs... Easily a size 4 or 6 (my height helps...) I know pro runners are super tiny but these races are mostly ran by regular people. It ruffles my feathers the wrong way.

But I don't have the speeds of old so it's no use thinking that way. I'll aim to do solid 11:30 splits which puts me at 35:44. If I go faster than that I will bonk in the last mile. So the goal? Don't bonk.

No comments:

Post a Comment