Everything you ever needed to know

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Amazeball recipe - zucchini crust pizza

I'm a Pinterest fan. Lately I've moved onto pinning loads of healthy living type stuff and I found this recipe the other day and added it to our meal plan this week:

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2012/08/zucchini-crust-pizza-margherita.html

Since we don't do gluten free in our house and I wanted to lower the fat a little I made some changes to the original recipe:
  • I used 1/4 cup of whole wheat flour instead of almond meal.
  • I used 1/4 cup of egg white instead of a whole egg
  • I used less parmesan - 2 tbsp.
  • I used less mozzarella: 1/2 cup for the crust and 1/4 on each pizza (I just used pre-shredded part skim mozzarella)
  • I used 1/2 cup of a premade pasta sauce instead of making my own (Francesco Rinaldi ToBeHealthy Tomato and Basil).
My zucchini was processed more than the pictures show on the original recipe. I just misread the instructions so I fine shredded AND processed it - but it was fine. We topped ours with the fresh basil and bell peppers. It was fantastic. I thought it might be gross, too mushy, too bleh... But I was really pleased with it. Should have taken a picture but it is now long gone in my tummy.

Here are the nutrition facts (makes two pizzas so these are the totals for one pizza - based on my measurements):
  • Calories: 300
  • Fat: 14.4
  • Sat. Fat: 8
  • Cholesterol: 35
  • Sodium: 569
  • Carbs: 21.2
  • Fiber: 3
  • Sugar: 3
  • Protein: 22.1
So the fat is high because of the cheese, I think you could definitely lower the cheese in the crust but let's face it, the yumminess comes from the cheese. And carbs might be lower with something other than whole wheat flour (but that's what I had). The crust isn't steady enough to just eat it with your hands but it wasn't mushy at all. Mine took a bit longer to cook because I turned the oven down - the 450 was making it smoke a bit plus it's a warm day and we don't have a/c here.

I'll definitely make this again. So good!

No comments:

Post a Comment