Everything you ever needed to know

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

More food products I love

I mentioned in a previous post that I don't eat a whole lot of meat. I don't ever plan on being a vegetarian since I do occasionally love a nice steak (or chicken wings) but I have no problem cutting down the amount of meat in my daily diet. I'm happy to get my protein from eggs, dairy products (especially cottage cheese), and legumes.

However, I'm not a big veggie fan. There are quite a few veggies that I enjoy but a lot that I can't stand and you'll never hear me proclaim, "Ooooh I was soooo craving zucchini and spinach today!!" I'm not that person.



Many of my lunches will include a salad, or sliced bell peppers and cucumbers along with either beans, or hummus, and some type of high fiber bread product.

I started off using the healthier dressings but I hated the taste so I usually indulge on my salads with one tbsp. of regular ranch dressing (half of the container pictured above). I use so much low/non fat stuff otherwise in my daily diet that it works out fine in the overall picture.

Nutrition count for the lunch pictured above (including string cheese and my daily vitamin)
But I get bored of eating the same thing all the time.

I used to always eat a frozen dinner (like Lean Cuisine or Smart Ones) while I was working since that was the easiest thing to take with me. But I got burned out after too many years of doing that. I tried a few within the past couple months but it's hard to find a variety I like that isn't too high in carbs or fat, and has enough protein. Also they have a ton of sodium as all packaged foods do.

So as a recent alternative I've been eating Morning Star "burger" products. It still provides the ease of a packaged product. I have had (and enjoyed) the original grillers and the spicy black bean burger. I'll eat one or two (depending on if I eat bread with it) and they are quite yummy.


Here are the nutritional stats on the black bean burgers:
1 burger patty
  • Calories: 110
  • Fat: 4
  • Sat Fat: .5
  • Cholesterol: 0
  • Sodium: 330
  • Carb: 13
  • Fiber: 4
  • Sugar: 1
  • Protein: 10
I eat it with, or without bread. If I include bread it's usually sandwich thins which are about 100 calories. Without bread, I have two patties and I'll just cut it up and dip it in ketchup or salsa/taco sauce.

They are best prepared by thawing in the microwave for one minute at 50% power and then putting in a pan on the stovetop for a few more minutes to finish warming up. If you use the microwave for the whole thing they are tough to cut and chew. You can use the pan for the whole thing but it obviously takes longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment