Everything you ever needed to know

Friday, June 13, 2014

Only a slight exaggeration

So this happened at the end of my run today:

 

Thankfully, the puddle wasn't that deep but still...

Rain, rain, rain, rain, rain - it does nothing but rain in New England. Don't get me wrong - I still love the cool, cloudy days. And since neither our condo nor the kids' schools have AC I'd rather it be in the 60's and rainy than sunny and in the 80's. But I am beginning to feel a little like this:


I've had good runs this week though, in spite of the rain. I went ahead and started week 12 of the C2-10K plan (on my Zen Lab app). The new plan with Up & Running doesn't actually begin until next week. Week 12 isn't that much different than week 11 - it's just 3 segments of 18 min runs with a 1 min walk instead of 17 min runs. I might be able to finish week 12 on Sunday depending on the weather (it's supposed to warm up again so if it's too warm I'll just do shorter intervals).

Today I burned myself out around mile 3 so that I had to take a longer walking break in the middle of the segments but I did add extra minutes of running to the end (ran 21 minutes instead of 18). I knew I was going faster because of my initial splits (mile 2 was 11:12 and 3 was 10:40) but it didn't necessarily feel faster while I was running. At least at first...

Whoa there Speedy Gonzales.

But after 3 miles my legs said no more. After a 3-4 minute walking break I started jogging again for the final segment but I thought I was going way slow (it was like jogging in molasses). My 4th mile split was 13:18 (which included the walking break) but my 5th was 11:05 so I must have sped up again but didn't really realize it mentally.


The circle is the longer walking break.


From what I can see for the first week of the new plan, there will be speed work involved. Which doesn't necessarily excite me since it pushes me out of my comfort zone but I know it is necessary so I'm trying to keep a positive outlook. My weekly mileage will go down for a couple of weeks but I think I'll be able to get it back up in July.

No comments:

Post a Comment