Everything you ever needed to know

Saturday, July 4, 2015

Eating Right on the 4th

Happy Independence Day!!!


More planning ahead to try and stay on track (I'm writing this on the 3rd). 

I want to have a nice BBQ lunch with family and friends and enjoy the holiday without getting off track. Since I can't make everyone follow my diet I will have to plan ahead to eat the right things and not pick at the other available things.

Here is what will be available for lunch:
  • Hamburgers (cheese optional, beef or turkey burgers available)
  • Red Potato Salad
  • Chips and Salsa
  • Pita Chips and Hummus
  • Corn on the Cob
  • Watermelon
  • Dessert: Fudgsicles or Apple Pie
  • Drinks: Cranberry Ginger Ale, Rootbeer, and Margaritas
I'm going to save the hummus to go along with some celery as "Snack 1" and the watermelon as "Snack 2". For lunch I plan to eat a turkey burger with salsa, a 1/4 c of potato salad, 1/2 a corn on the cob, and watermelon. I'll go ahead and eat a bun as I'm changing my views on low carb (see below). This ends up being ok with my tracking (also included my daily vitamin):

Sodium will end up being higher since I didn't put the salsa and plan on salting my corn - plus the seasoning in the turkey burger. But since I usually have beautiful blood pressure I don't put a lot of worry into my sodium levels.

I might have a margarita. I'm debating not just because of the calorie/sugar content but because my liver enzymes were a bit high from the blood work done at my check up (everything else though, including my cholesterol was great). Even though I really haven't been drinking in the last month (maybe 8 oz total of red wine in the past 5 weeks) my Dr. would like me to avoid alcohol and tylenol products and recheck in 4 weeks. I'm still bargaining with myself about the Voodoo Bucket while on vacation (shown earlier this week) but figure skipping the alcohol on the 4th isn't that much of a sacrifice.

In reality, my elevated liver enzymes are probably more a result of my recent dieting. While I am in the "obese" range which could lead to fatty liver (and thyroid issues can also affect your liver); I've never had liver issues before and I've had those issues for more than a couple of years now. I've been doing some searches on what can affect these tests and the low cal/low carb/fairly low fat combo is probably straining my liver - because it's working hard to convert these lower amounts into the materials my body needs. You learn something new everyday - so starting next week I'm going to go back to an average of 150g of carbs each day. I'd rather increase carbs a little than calories and fat. We'll see what the blood tests say again in 4 weeks.

I've scheduled this to post later on the 4th so here's my update of how I ended up doing:
All in all pretty well. I did eat a bit more than listed above but I can make up for any extra calories with a light dinner. I did drink the margarita and ended up having a shortcake along with some fruit instead of the watermelon. Also, I had a whole corn on the cob but I don't feel any guilt about what I ate as I still kept myself from munching on all the chips and such. My carbs were much higher than usual but again not so bad that I really overdid anything. Our 4th ended up being a very cool and a rainy day so not as much fun as in years past but I wasn't sad to stay home and not deal with the crazy firework show traffic. Now onto thoughts of vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment