For one, it didn't look all that appetizing. Two, because it was a one dish meal I couldn't adjust for the carbs (everything was mixed together!). And three, the reviews on it were pretty bad as well.
It's a little difficult to track these meals as I don't know the exact ingredients (such as was this 93/7 ground beef or fattier?) but here is what I came up for the entire recipe.
Divided by two: Cals: 597.5, Fat: 25.85, Sat. Fat: 11.25, Carbs: 63.25, Protein: 33.75
When I put that in my tracking for the day all my percentages were screwed. But since I put that in at the beginning of the day I had time to reflect on it before actually committing to eat it. I grumbled about it for a while and then realized I could make my own meal out of all the ingredients that would be far better for me in the long run.
So instead we had kofta, pasta with pesto sauce, and a side of green beans. The only thing I needed to add was basil for the pesto sauce (which I have a basil plant so that's easy enough) and spices for the kofta (which I also had in the pantry). I left out the butter but used the parmesan cheese in the pesto.
Most importantly, this looked far more appetizing to me and I could now control more of the portion sizes of the meat and pasta (as well as the pesto). So my new numbers for dinner were (this includes just a very small helping of the pasta and pesto):
- Calories: 334
- Fat: 16.5g
- Saturated Fat: 5.6
- Carbs: 29.5
- Protein: 18.5
And my numbers are in the happy/green zone again. If I hadn't planned ahead and instead just tracked my intake at the end of the day there wouldn't have been anything I could do except try to make up for it the next day.