Everything you ever needed to know

Saturday, July 11, 2015

Thin things

Besides shopping at a few stores in the mall there really aren't "thin-things". :)

I stayed on track on Friday and so far today things have gone well but I am going out tonight with the hubby for our actual anniversary dinner. As I've only eaten about 900 calories so far today and burnt 675 I have plenty of wiggle room but I still want to make good choices.

We had a nice dinner at home last night. I got some shrimp that we grilled according to this recipe: Grilled Shrimp with Ginger Lemon Dipping Sauce. We made up a salad, some brussel sprouts (more on that later), and there was also wild rice and bread but I only had one thin slice of bread. Then I had a couple of oatmeal cookies for dessert because I still had enough calories left to enjoy them without guilt.

So brussel sprouts - I've never had them before (at least that I can remember).  I've seen various recipes for them and thought they looked good but I guess I had always heard that they were "nasty" and so never had them. We roasted them in olive oil with salt and pepper. They weren't bad but they weren't great either. I think the smell still threw me off a bit. Also, they kind of made me "burpy" and I tasted brussel sprouts for a while afterwards. A Tums was in order. So I'm not saying I won't make them again but they probably won't be on a regular rotation.

I used the gym yesterday and today (and probably tomorrow for my last C210K run this week since it's still hot and gross humid outside). Today was the elliptical and weights. I felt really good with the weights. It's good to know that I'm building up muscle again. But I was pretty shaky when I was done with my workout. I had felt super full after breakfast (but it wasn't high in calories) and didn't get my normal mid-morning snack because I had still felt full. So by the time I was done with my workout the blood sugar and what not was really low. I had a Special K protein shake as soon as we got home and then had lunch and a nap a bit later and feel better now.

I write all of this because it's interesting to feel more in tuned with my body about what it needs and how it feels either when it needs more fuel or I've eaten too much of the "bad" fuel. There was a couple of times on vacation when I indulged and I felt, "eh - that wasn't worth the calories". This isn't to say that I've figured everything out and now will be perfect but I think it's good to reflect on these things as they occur to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment