Everything you ever needed to know

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Run for Your Life 5k

So my initial hope for this race was to get done in under 33 minutes. But I didn't put the running time into my training. Then when I did,I couldn't do much more than 5 minutes at a time before wanting to crash. I've had issues this past week with my heart rate accelerating quickly and it's annoying.

Anyway, I went to the race today with no real hopes beyond hoping to be faster than the 37 minutes that I had for the last 5k.

It was supposed to be rainy but thankfully it was just overcast and chilly for the whole race. I first wondered if I should have worn long sleeves instead of capris and a t-shirt (it was in the 50's). But I knew I would warm up once I got going so I didn't worry too much about that. In fact, once I was 2 miles in I wished I had worn a tank top and shorts. Of course I was freezing at the end once my shirt was all sweaty and I was too lazy to walk to my car to get my jacket.

I ran for about 3 minutes before I felt out of breath. I thought it was a bad sign but I just tried to slow down and get through it. The initial rush of people passing me was over about half a mile in and then I started catching up to others who had started off too fast. I stayed about dead middle for the whole race (there were a good number of walkers). I made it to mile one at about 10:25.

Mile two was more closer to an 11 minute mile and then I took a one minute walking break. I had one more 1 minute walking break before mile three and actually made it to mile 3 before the 33 minute mark so that wasn't too bad. 

Then I thought I had the burst of energy to get through the last .12 mile but started to feel almost woozy about half way through that. I just kept on trucking and finished. 


So it wasn't as good as I initially hoped but much better than I expected. I didn't win any door prizes but did get some decent give aways.

All the same I think I'm cutting my runs down to two miles from here until January.

No comments:

Post a Comment