Everything you ever needed to know

Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Preparing for turkey

Aaah November, the dreary month. It's grey and gross out there right now. Though they say we should see some sun later today.

We've been hit with the cold germs in my household this week. I'm feeling a bit under the weather but I'm still well enough to keep up with the exercise and such. I got a 3 mile run in yesterday along with some weights (focused on arms only). Today will be Turbo Kick.

I'm now down to my few weeks before my thyroid surgery so I spent some time yesterday wondering if I should have any specific goals for this month beyond: "keep working out and hope to lose weight". Whatever goal I pick though has to be flexible enough that I can still complete it along with a good amount of travel that I have planned for the next couple of weeks.

I saw on one running blog they were doing a mileage goal - get x amount of miles done before Thanksgiving. I kind of liked that one but didn't want anything too rigid or that required too much mileage in a week since I'm not doing a lot of running right now. But I think I could get to 50 miles for the entire month (that's 10-12 miles a week) so that's my goal for the moment. And I will set it up for myself that the mileage is from walking or running. I should still be able to get runs in while I'm out for work and personal travel. I'll have hotel gyms for my work travel and will be in Arizona for my personal travel so I assume I'll have decent outside weather for walk/runs while I'm there.


Right now my calorie counter says that if I run a flat mile at a 11 min pace I would burn 157 calories. So that multiplied by 50 miles equals 7,580. According to this article I could consume 4500 calories for Thanksgiving dinner so I should be good with surviving the holiday feasting. :)

I had originally planned on doing a Turkey Trot type of race (4 miles) on Thanksgiving morning but I didn't sign up early so now the fee for the race is $40 which to me is a bit much even if it is for a good cause.

In all seriousness though, I would really love to be done with mini-goal #4 (I think it was #4) and have 20% of my original body weight lost before my surgery. I need to be at 189 for this goal. I had some movement on the scale this morning - got rid of the weekend bloat - and was at 194 even. I think 5 pounds is possible for the month if I can keep on track. If I can be in the 180's before my surgery than I'll be very happy even though I didn't make my original hopes for goal weight. That original plan was unrealistic anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment