Everything you ever needed to know

Friday, May 27, 2016

Because I'm not a morning person

I have to suffer through long'ish runs on the indoor track or treadmill because it's too hot outside. Running 33 laps (5 miles) on the indoor track is really, really boring.

But I did it because the best time for me to get a run in Wednesday was between 3:30 and 4:30 p.m. and it was almost 90 and humid outside at that point. I have ran outdoors in that kind of heat before but it was absolutely miserable and I only went about 2-3 miles (this was during my group training in 2011 for the late summer triathlon). I don't think it's really necessary to do that again if I have an indoor option.

Or if I was willing to get up at 5 a.m. I could have ran outside but I'm not so willing. I've been really tired in the morning recently. And for the past few longer runs I have been totally exhausted afterwards and MUST nap.

So I need to look at a few things to get past this level of tiredness:

1) Pre and post run hydration. I probably am not hydrated enough for warmer weather. I need to be more mindful of my water intake over the course the day. I get into a vicious cycle of feeling tired so I get more caffeinated drinks but then I drink less water and thus become more dehydrated and more tired and so I drink more caffeine.... Ack! Stop the madness!

2) I need to also get over fear of carbs when looking at longer runs. I do purposefully eat more carbs before and after a run but I might not be getting enough if I feel so exhausted afterwards. I don't have this same kind of exhaustion with shorter runs (4 miles or less) or other cardio/strength exercises so it's just something different that's activated with the longer runs.

3) It could be my thyroid levels. Since I no longer have a thyroid I'm completely dependent on my meds which I take faithfully. But my body is still adjusting to not having a thyroid so the amount of medication that was perfect in March may not be perfect now. I'm not scheduled to see a doctor again for lab work until early July but I can always go earlier if I think this is something to be worked on.

But so far this week the workouts have been as scheduled with even an extra mile tacked onto Tuesday's speed work. Today's 6 mile long run will also be indoors due to scheduling issues but I think I'll do it on a treadmill so I can try and maintain a specific pace - i.e. I want to see if I can match my old 10K time of 1:04. I'll put on a show and suffer through the boredom of long treadmill running while enjoying the fact that I'm not out in the miserable hot and humid weather.

While diet hasn't been perfect this week it's MUCH MUCH better than last week and my weight is holding steady at 186 even which is only .2 pounds higher than my low weight reading a couple of weeks ago. My waist is now right at 30 inches so that's fun and with the lower waist measurements my overall body fat % has also dropped a bit to 29.35%. And while my thigh measurements haven't changed much the composition has changed quite a bit. You can feel the tighter muscle now rather than just the fluff.  So while there's still work I want to accomplish I'm pretty happy with where I am right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment