Everything you ever needed to know

Sunday, July 3, 2016

TRX Class

Image taken from Google images - originally from leanitup.com
So if you don't know what TRX is don't worry - I had no idea either until a month or so ago. But then again, I don't keep up with all the trends in exercise classes. I'm sure this thing has been around forever.

But anyway - it's a suspension trainer. This is from the official TRX website:

"Born in the Navy SEALs, Suspension Training bodyweight exercise develops strength, balance, flexibility and core stability simultaneously. It requires the use of the TRX Suspension Trainer, a highly portable performance training tool that leverages gravity and the user’s body weight to complete hundreds of exercises."



Our gym now has one of these and they've offered the class on Tuesdays and Thursdays but it conflicts with my spin class. Then when the instructor for Friday's Kettle Fit fell through they started to offer a Friday option for TRX and I finally got a chance to try it out this last Friday (yes, I actually exercised once last week - yay me!).

There were only 5 of us in class so everyone had plenty of room. The instructor focused on plank type of moves. 

  1. Put your feet in the stirrups and hold an elbow plank. Saw back and forth if your able. Pike up and down if you're able.
  2. Some type of oblique pull. You stand sideways to the machine, hold the ropes straight in front of you and lean to the side. I can't find an example after a quick search online to help explain it better.
  3. Side plank with feet in the stirrups again.
  4. Weighted rope swings with squats.
  5. Plank (off of the machine) and you moved a weight from left to right with your right arm and then right to left with your left arm.
  6. Some type of ax swing like move.
Each exercise lasted a minute and we repeated the circuit twice. It was a decent workout. I felt like I did pretty well in it. The abs class I've been doing has definitely made improvements in my core strength. The second round was much harder for me to hold form. I was sweating and tired at the end. But the true result was the core soreness I felt on Saturday - it let me know that it actually did something.

So I liked the class. I'd be interested in learning a lot of the other moves - seems to be loads of possibilities. The problem is my schedule as I won't be available for any other Friday lunch workout through the rest of the month and I hate to give up spin. So we'll see. I'll get to it again but it can't yet be a part of my normal rotation.

No comments:

Post a Comment