Everything you ever needed to know

Monday, September 12, 2016

Mondays with M

Sorry it's been quiet on here. Last week was crazy busy at work. Quick recap on the little bit of exercise I got:

  • Spin on Tuesday
  • 1 mile warm up run and weights on Friday
  • Walk, Run/Row routine on Saturday
Yep, that's about it.

But today was my initial meeting with my new (to me) trainer "M". First to give a little background, my university has a wellness program so for the low cost of $200 I can meet weekly with a trainer (for about 15 weeks) plus I get a pass to as many classes as I want. It's a heck of a deal. Many times, however, their trainers are students who may have a couple certifications but they're still in school and so very young and inexperienced.  I've always liked everyone I've worked with but there have been a couple that I wouldn't pay to have again. So I specifically requested M for this semester because I've watched him work with other clients and he's been doing this for 15 years (rather than a few weeks...).

I have no running goals right now so I told him I want to concentrate on building strength and trimming down again. It's not so much that I don't know what to do but I'd rather have weekly accountability and advice from someone who knows more about this stuff than I do. We went through a pretty detailed history and his initial comments were pretty interesting.

  • If you want to keep from yo-yo'ing on your weight and exercise activity you need to cut back to 3-5 days of exercise. - Awesome, already doing that.
  • 30 minutes of cardio max per session, the rest of it is weights/strength training. - Okay, willing to mix things up especially since I'm not going long distances right now.
  • Minimum of 1500-1700 calories a day. - that will take my brain a bit to get used to but I know he's right.
  • No more Coke Zero.
Fine, I'll cut down and then cut it out. Or at least I'll try.
  • He didn't set any other macros yet (carbs/fat/proteins) but he thinks I need to cut down on salt, to 1500-2000 mg/day.
This truly is the hardest thing to accept and deal with. Not because I love salt so much (although I do) but because most of the things I have picked to eat diet wise to fit my macros have higher amounts of salt in them. These aren't bad things necessarily - but cottage cheese has a high amount of sodium, as does single package oatmeal, healthy cereal, salsa, hummus, egg whites in a carton, yogurt, etc.

So I won't get to a magic >2000 mg of sodium right away. I have to readjust my pantry staples and shopping list first but I did switch up my breakfast plans in an attempt to work on it. 
  • Overnight oats (old fashioned), almond milk (still higher in sodium but more tasty than water), blueberries, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. With a scrambled egg and coffee.
Another problem is the amount of time I need to cook since Tuesdays and Thursdays are consumed with tennis games and something seems to come up on the other days as well. I guess weekly meal planning can be done but I don't want to find a temporary solution for a longer term problem. I know myself well enough to know that I could spend a few weeks prepping weekly meals but soon it would get old and I will want more daily variety. But for now....




1 comment:

  1. My coach doesn't give me any nutritional advice. Which is how I prefer it!

    ReplyDelete