Everything you ever needed to know

Sunday, September 4, 2016

The I'm not really going to race but then again... 5k race report

It was gorgeous on Saturday morning. Even if I was awake far earlier than I would prefer on a weekend. At 6:20 when I left my house the outside temps were 62 degrees and it didn't feel humid at all - though how humidity feels in the south is pretty relative to what you're used to.

The night before I wondered if I should wear a tank or t-shirt. Then silly me realized that the mid-60's are still pretty darn warm once you get going and a tank top was used. And while I did get sweaty I never felt overheated.

The 5k didn't start until 7:20 but I was worried about getting into the parking lot and settled since the 10k started at 7:00. Then they only had 4 port a potties set up so that line took quite a while. While there a friendly gal behind me was trying to chat and I still was in my, "this is too early and I need coffee" mind fog.

I was surprised to find that I only knew like 1 or 2 people at the race. I guess other people had better Labor Day weekend plans. But since I wasn't feeling up to being chatty and friendly it's probably for the best.

After a while my brain had woken up enough that I really did appreciate the beautiful morning, the chance to be healthy enough to race, and the spirit of the community. I started the race in a good mood and hit mile one at 10:33 which is far faster than I had planned on going. So I thought, well golly, let's at least do this within 11 min/mile splits. Even if it wasn't going to be my best 5k it didn't have to be my worst either.

Mile 2 was slower with a 11:30'ish split but I could still finish within my new goal. And I was able to get through at the end just barely squeaking by with an overall pace of 10:59, finishing at 34:03.  And then since I still felt kind of bad (stupid brain) about switching down to the 5k I went to Zumba afterwards for an extra cardio burn. And after that I was super tired for the day and took a nap and was grouchy at everyone in my family for the rest of the day.

Aah the life of a kinda runner.

No comments:

Post a Comment